Cornu Copiae by Sylvie Pilotte
October 6 – November 25
Launch: Friday, October 6, 5:00pm
End: Saturday, November 25
Artist Talk: Saturday, November 25, 1:00pm
AX is pleased to welcome Sylvie Pilotte to the gallery for her exhibition Cornu copiæ. Sylvie takes a critical look at the evolution of the relationship that unites the human consumer and what is left behind everyday consumer products, i.e. packaging, waste and surpluses, and dwells on the many paradoxes that mark this relationship by proposing a multiple personification of overconsumption which shelters within it the human in a state of servitude to the object supposed to serve it.
The exhibition opening will be held on Friday October 6th at 5:00 PM and an artist talk will take place on Saturday, November 25th, 2023 at 1:00 PM.
About the Artist
Sylvie Pilotte’s visual arts practice took shape during her graphic design studies, and took root in northern New Brunswick after moving there in 2011. Calling for reflection on social values and collective behaviors, her projects embrace both two-dimensional and sculptural forms, installation and, more recently, multimedia. They are regularly exhibited and supported on various occasions by the Canada Council for the Arts and the New Brunswick Arts Board. Many of her works are part of public and private collections.
Thanks to the NB Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture for supporting this exhibition. This project is also funded in part by the Government of Canada. This project is supported by the New Brunswick Arts Board.
Call for Exhibition Proposals
Professional and emerging artists/artist teams working in all mediums are invited and encouraged to submit proposals for solo, group, or curates exhibitions. The deadline for proposal submissions for next season has passed, but we accept proposals year round for later dates.
AX is committed to developing, supporting and promoting exhibition opportunities and experiences for New Brunswick artists from established and underrepresented communities. In choosing exhibitions, AX seeks a balance of established and emerging artists, exhibiting works fro our region and beyond. AX is also dedicated to exhibiting children’s art and student work created in local-area schools and through our own programming.
AX offers an average of six exhibitions a year and strives to pay artists fair compensation for the right to exhibit their work. We include artist fees based on national CARFAC standards in all grant applications so there fees can be paid to artists whenever possible. AX’s exhibitions are selected by a rotating panel of respected artists and art educators knowledgeable in the discipline involved. The selected juries base their decisions on the artist’d statement and images submitted as part of exhibitions proposals.
While you may suggest a curator as part of your proposal, AX is under no obligation to pay this curator or work with them directly. In your proposal, please clarify if you are willing to work with a curator of AX’s choosing. If you are proposing a curator, please include their credentials along with your proposal.
All artists interested in submitting an exhibtion proposal should also refer to our sample artist agreement before submitting as it clarifies requirements assiciated with exhibiting at AX.
In your proposal, please include:
- Contact information (name, address, phone, email, website)
- Are you applying for a solo artist show, a group show, or a show you will curate?
- Title of your proposed exhibiton
- Approximate number of pieces and dimensions
- Project description (max. 500 words), including:
- artist statement
- concept for proposed exhibit
- what are you trying to achieve
- Note: If you would prefer to present your project description by video, you may upload a 2 to 3 minute (maximum) video clip to YouTube and share the link with us.
- Arts resume/CV (no more than 3 pages)
- Artist biography, including training and exhibiton history (no more than 500 words)
- 10 digital (JPG) images of work with an accompanying numbered image list specifying title, media, dimensions, and year of work. Can send images on a USB stick, through Dropbox.com or WeTransfer, or by email – website links to supplementary visual materials are also welcome. Images submitted by email must be no larger than 1024 pixels at the longest dimension, adn no more than 150 dpi.
Applications may be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please include AX Exhibition Proposal int he subject line of the email). Or mailed/dropped off in person to:
AX, the Arts and Culture Centre of Sussex
12 Maple Ave., Sussex, NB E4E2N5
Preparing a proposal? Have a look at our gallery dimensions and photos for context. If you have any questions about the proposal process, contact: email@example.com